Wednesday, November 25, 2009

DO YOU REALLY UNDERESTIMATE YOUR DAD WHEN IT COMES TO FASHION?


The answer to that question is: I used to

Once upon a time, seven years ago, my Dad came home with a present. I was so excited to rip open the paper and find Limited Too shorts with dance written on the bootie (unfortunately I was really into Limited Too. The obsession lasted approximately three years). However, I was shocked to find a pair of zip at the knee khaki pants and.... wait for it.......a pair of HUSH PUPPIES. REMEMBER THOSE!!?
I smiled through my teeth (translation: fake smile), and proceeded to hide both items in the back of my closet. One sunny monday morning I woke up to find my khaki pants and the horrendous hush puppies lying on the floor. My Dad barged in and said "COME ON YOU'LL LOOK GREAT, COME ON". My Mom even made me wear them together. Therefore I couldn't back down. I walked into school with every one pointing and laughing at me. All I wanted to do was hide in the coat closet and never come out. That was it, I had my first official fashion faux pas and I blamed it all on my father.

Lets flash forward to four years later: I continued to refuse to shop with my Dad. I never wanted a repeat of that heinous outfit. I needed a new coat, and I begged my Mom to come to Bloomingdales with me. She didn't want to go, and she convinced that my Dad go with me. Whining wouldn't get me out of this situation, so I surrendered and went shopping with my Dad. Surprisingly, my Dad was open to the styles that I liked. It was then that my Dad pulled out my all time favorite Marc Jacobs military green jacket. I wore the jacket to death. 

That wasn't the end, my Dad kept revealing this amazing fashion sense he had never shown to anyone. I mean the guy wears black socks with adidas sandals! No one ever thought that the guy could pick out a high fashion jacket for his daughter. It kept progressing. After I wore out the military jacket, it was time for a new one. After a trip to Century 21, my Dad found a gorgeous Donna Karan peacoat. It was my first sophisticated piece, and I loved every inch of it.
At that point I knew I could trust my Dad enough to help me find a fairy tale prom dress. After hours in department stores, vintage stores, and even the mall, we ventured into the online world. We casually looked on the Betsey Johnson website to find my prom dress in the sale section. My Dad picked out a sea foam green dress with a ribbon belt; we both knew that this dress was the PERFECT dress. 

LESSON OF THE DAY: DON'T UNDERESTIMATE YOUR DAD. Even if he caused a fashion disaster seven years ago, just give him a chance.

Anonymously,
Poser

No comments:

Post a Comment