Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Letter From an Editor

Oh my Mount Holyoke women, 

It's really not my fault how it all
 started. I woke up one day, approximately age thirteen, realized pastels just really weren't my thing, and then BAM my life changed.  Some say my eye for fashion grew a little stronger, and others think I became a bitchy teen, desperate to have an opinion about something. My opinion on the subject? I
 learned what I consider to be the most important rule in fashion. Know your colors. Work your shape.

Let's be honest, it's easier said than done.  Not everyone looks good in the same things, which is exactly why I'm so excited to be doing this blog.  People think of fashion and they
 cringe at the bulimic model/curtain hanger who looks "good" in that metallic skirt coupled with what looks like a previously living mammal slouched across what they are saying are her breasts.   

Well guess what? I'm here to tell you forget the flipping curtain hanger and her mammal top, and focus on you.  Make clothes about you.  We have.  Poser, Hard-Stuff, and I are three very different women, who all happen to have a knack for fashion, and, even more importantly, individual senses of style.  And yes people! There is a difference. The fabulous, four-
eyed, Frenchman, Yves Saint Laurent once said, "Fashions fade. Style is eternal." 

I couldn't agree more.  Style is something that is perfected over time. It's all about knowing your colors and working your shape.  It's about both making timeless pieces seem more "right now" and taking those outlandish thrift store bangles to the next level by pairing them with a classic cardigan. It's about incorporating the vibrancy of the music you love into your clothes and not being afraid to be the only one wearing a hat. Hard-Stuff said it best with the "fuck trends" statement.  Clothes are more than ins and outs.  Clothes
 communicate who we are.  I love that.  

That being said, I'm looking forward to campus fashion this year and really bringing all elements together so we can perfect style in some places, create it in others, give you the low down on what's in right now, and fill you in on what never goes away.  For now, don't trip about fashion, stumble into some style and for god's sake, give getting dressed a chance this year.  Sweats are comfortable, but damn, Poser, Hard-Stuff, and I can't be the only ones around MoHo getting dressed every morning.  So take this journey with us, and be open.  We just might know what we're talking about here.  Plus, every woman deserves the opportunity to look just that much more fabulous.

Anonymously, 

Statement

1 comment: